Texas Wesleyan University

University

Texas Wesleyan University

Visit Website

Texas Wesleyan History
Texas Wesleyan University was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1890.

A committee under the direction of Bishop Joseph S. Key explored locations for a campus and settled on a site east of Fort Worth donated by area pioneers, A.S. Hall, W.D. Hall, and George Tandy. Originally called Polytechnic College — which literally means “many arts and sciences” — the school held its first classes in September 1891, with a handful of faculty members and 111 students.

In 1902, H.A. Boaz assumed the presidency and managed a period of moderate growth. He conceived the idea of a new university for Southern Methodism and planned to develop Polytechnic College into that university.

photos

video